Update: Plagiarism: Not Cool!

I got an email this morning from a concerned fan (thanks again, concerned fan!) who found one of my books on Wattpad. The book was Wild (Russian Wolf Pack 2), and it had been turned into a Teen Wolf fanfic.

I sent a cease and desist letter explaining the writer of the fanfic was infringing upon my copyright. The fic was removed from all offending sites. She did apologize to me personally in a letter sent this morning (September 7th) and posted apologies on her website. The other fics are her original work, but she removed them all because of this blog post. I'm sorry about that. I don't want to ruin her reputation. Ugh. I'm not that much of an asshole.

I'm not gonna go into a rant about how much time and effort writers put into producing original work (a lot!) and how stealing is wrong (it is!). People should know this by now. 

However, here is a general warning: 

Do not lift parts of text and use them in your work. That's copyright infringement. Even if you attribute it to the original creator, unless the work is in the public domain, you don't own it and have no right to post or publish it without the original creator's expressed consent. Even if it's just for a fanfic. The more you know. 

Now let's go back to thinking about hot naked guys, okay? 












Comments

Popular Posts